My grandfather was a great man in many ways. I never got to learn much about his stories. The ones about his younger days, his music, his days of being a hero for someone or just plain funny moments. Even if he told me before, I must have been very young and I can't remember now. One of my greatest regrets is not learning latin and french from him or even read his novels stored in the house. He always ask me to read them and I will say okay but I never did. He was a great man in many ways. A teacher, mentor, model, guide to those around him. He has his principles and he never lets go of them. Did I mention he had a really great memory? At the age of 90, he still remembered his students and their names from his teaching days. He was a such well respected man that his students still call him Master whenever they see him in a restaurant or on the road.
He passed away last year on December 7th. I was there in the hospital with him. Almost every family member were there. I was sleeping and my father woke me up and said hurry. I stood there and I watch him held his last breathe. I didn't cry then as I was prepared for it after a week being with him everyday in the hospital. My cousin was very emotional that day and cried for a long time. Over the next few days, we were alright. you know? it was alright because we have to accept that one day people will go. Someone has to go to Heaven everyday and someone comes to this earth everyday too. I accepted it really well as I saw my whole family including my uncles and aunties and cousins helping each other out in the funeral. It was a touching scene. The last act of my grandfather pulled my family even closer than ever. I am happy I had such awesome people in my life and I had the chance to know him. One day, I hope to be a teacher as well as it is a noble profession. Something many teachers take for granted. His story will be told to my kids for sure. A story that is unforgettable. Happy birthday kong kong!
No comments:
Post a Comment